Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Favorite Quote

My personal mantra is "make possible that which seems impossible." It's gotten me through many trials and tribulations, gruelling internships and examinations for which I was ill prepared.

The phrase "all human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights" from the universal declaration of rights of man is the drive behind my day to day behavior (such as the way I treat the people I meet, live and work with) and my larger decisions as well (such as the things I choose to study in school, the type of work I'm drawn to etc.)

But my absolute favorite quote, the string of words to which I turn when I'm feeling happy, sad or just "whatever" comes from Kurt Vonnegut and it goes like this:

The arts are not a way to make a living
They are a very human way of making life more bearable
Practicing an art, no matter how well or how badly
Is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake
Sing in the shower
Dance to the radio
Tell stories
Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem
Do it as well as you possibly can
You will get an enormous reward
You will have created something

Now THOSE are not just words to get you through the day, those are words you can model an entire life on. Isn't that all we want? To have created something greater than us, that will last beyond the span of our lifetimes. Money, fame, love aren't these really creations of man that are meant to do the one thing that we can't do? They're thought to last forever.

I think that's why I like writing so much, it's my way to satisfy the urge to create. I'm not sure if this is a good blog or not, I hope it is. I'm still proud of it either way. In the words of Mr. Vonnegut, the ability to look back on the way my thoughts and ideas have evolved through this medium will indeed be "an enormous reward."

No comments:

Post a Comment