Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Wine of Astonishment

Photo Courtesy GoodReads.com

This weekend I read what was quite possibly one of the best novels ever. The Wine of Astonishment by Earl Lovelace.
He's a Trinidadian writer and this is the first time that I've read his work. My other favorite Trinidadian writer is V.S. Naipaul, I've heard that he's an awful person but I've never let that affect my consideration of his work. But now I think I might like Lovelace better. He captures the rhythm and the style of our local dialect in a way that I've never seen before. He gave me an entirely new perspective on the Shouter Baptist religion and their movement.
On my way to work this morning I passed by a Shouter Baptist ringing a bell on the sidewalk. I smiled to myself because today I understood the significance of what she was doing in I way that I never would have before. It was a great little boost to the day and it's all because of Earl!

No comments:

Post a Comment