Friday, September 17, 2010

Picture Me



I don't think I've ever mentioned it but there was a time when I considered a career in Fashion Journalism. I interned for the ultimate in high profile magazines and followed that up with an inetrnship for one of the industrys budding young designers. I always have and always will love fashion. As a shy teenager I embraced the fashion, painting and writing as media that could express all of the things that I was terrified to say. But, as soon as I tiptoed into the industry, I soon learned success in fashion usually comes at a heavy price. In some ways I was perfect for the fashion industry, I am quick, funny, hardworking and I posess the ability to devote myself to my work at the all costs (this isn't necessarily a good thing). But, if I were to continue on that career path I would have had to supress all of the aspects of my personality that I hold dear. I am kind, compassionate, emotional and will always be a little bit shy. As a fashion editor I would have had to be colder, more detached, agressive and brazen to the point of a complete lack of shame.

I am happy and more fulfilled in my choice to pursue a different kind of journalism, because at the end of the day print media is what I truly love. Also, as a fashion intern I was always torn by the thought that I wasn't doing enough to support my human rights causes. I still follow the fashion industry with avid ineterest but in the end the stronger passion won.

That said, I'm eagerly anticipating Picture Me a behind the scenes look at the modelling industry. I'm hoping it's a good critical study of the seamier side of the fashion industry, a side that I've seen first hand. I posted the trailer above and you can check out the review at ABC News.

No comments:

Post a Comment